RMS International Scientific Imaging Competition - A great competition with great prizes
This highly respected event will culminate with the winners being announced at mmc2014. The short-listed entries will be on view throughout the week and provide a great background for socialising and networking.
As always, there will be stunning prizes on offer, and could include:
- Cash Prizes
- iPod Nano
- Compact Digital Camera
- Portable Hard Drive
“This competition goes from strength to strength,” says Dr John Hutchison, a former President of the Society and a regular judge. “We receive entries from all over the world, and the standard is very, very high. It is a great opportunity for microscopists to showcase their skills and their work, and it provides an outlet for those that can capture the breathtaking and engaging beauty of the microscopical world.”
The winning images will appear in high-circulation publications, providing great exposure for the successful entrants.
“This competition goes way beyond 'coffee table' pictures and this makes it special,” adds Professor Chris Hawes, another former President of the Society and previous competition judge. “We look for images that have a scientific quality as well as outstanding aesthetic appeal. This provides us with truly eye-catching displays.”
The competition has six categories -
- Electron Microscopy - Physical Science
- Electron Microscopy - Life Science
- Light Microscopy - Physical Science
- Light Microscopy - Life Science
- Scanning Probe Microscopy
- Short videos
THE CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES HAS NOW PASSED, SHORTLISTED ENTRIES WILL BE NOTIFIED SHORTLY
For more information please contact Lucy Saxton
Terms and Conditions
- The RMS International Scientific Imaging Competition 2012 is an activity of the Microscience Microscopy Congress 2014. The Organisers of the competition and event are the Royal Microscopical Society. The deadline for receipt of entries is midnight GMT 30th May 2014.
- This competition is open to individuals only. Members of the Organising Committees, and the contracted promotional and design agencies are not eligible to win prizes.
- Entries can only be accepted electronically as digital images. No more than two images per person to be submitted. Each micrograph entry must be attached to a separate entry form. Digital images should be submitted via the competition website and should be JPEG or TIFF files, no larger than 4Mb. Videos should be submitted in MPEG or AVI format and no larger than 50Mb. All submissions should include the entrant’s name, address, email and telephone number along with a short description of each micrograph or video. This text should be less than 50 words. Your entry should not have been submitted to earlier competitions held by the Royal Microscopical Society or to other micrograph/scientific imaging competitions.
- The competition is divided into six categories; Electron Microscopy – Life Science, Electron Microscopy – Materials Science, Light Microscopy – Life Science, Light Microscopy – Materials Science, Scanning Probe Microscopy and Video.
- All Entries made via the electronic entry form must tick the relevant box to indicate they have read and accept these Terms & Conditions. The Organisers do not accept any liability for lost, delayed or incomplete entries.
- The copyright of the entire image before and after manipulation must be held by the entrant or the entrant must have the written authority of the copyright owner to submit the photograph for the competition. It is the responsibility of the entrant to seek all permissions required for the image to win under the entrant’s name, and for the display and publication of the entry. The Organisers reserve the right to request evidence of such authorities or consents.
- The Organisers reserve the right to reproduce and exhibit and to license the reproduction and the exhibition of some or all, in whole or part, in all media (now known or hereafter created) of all submissions to the Royal Microscopical Society without the permission of the entrant or copyright owner or payment for such use, but only in line with the charitable objectives of the Royal Microscopical Society (RMS). The moral right of the copyright owner will be acknowledged.
- Should the Organisers wish to reproduce and exhibit any entry or entries not in association with the RMS, then the Organiser will obtain permission from the owner of the copyright and a reasonable reproduction fee may be payable.
- A judging panel appointed by the Organisers will choose the winners. The Organisers’ decision on all matters relating to the competition is final, and no correspondence will be entered into concerning the competition’s judging and organisation.
- The judges reserve the right in their absolute discretion to declare void any entry or declare the whole competition or a category or categories void should no entries meet the required standard.
- Entrants whose entries are shortlisted for the final competition judging will be required to submit high resolution images suitable for display at 50cm x 50cm.
- All entries shortlisted for the final competition judging must be able to attend the Microscience Microscopy Congress 2014 on Wednesday 2 July 2014. Winners will be announced at the Event and all prizes will be awarded at an award ceremony to be held at the Microscience Microscopy Congress 2014 on Wednesday 2 July 2014. In exceptional circumstances, prize winners not able to be present for this ceremony will be required to meet shipping costs of their awarded prize including any customs tax payable on overseas deliveries. The competition results will be published on the Microscience Microscopy Congress 2014 website after the event.
- Prizes are not negotiable.
- The RMS reserves the right to replace advertised prizes with one of a similar value should the original prize become unavailable.
- CLOSING DATE for all entries is midnight GMT 30th May 2014.
- SHORTLISTED ENTRIES will be notified by 13th June 2014.
- Contact address: Scientific Imaging Competition, Royal Microscopical Society, 37-38 St Clements, Oxford, OX4 1AJ, UK. Tel: +44 (0)1865 254761, firstname.lastname@example.org.